Measuring the performance of your website is really important, and because a calculator can be an integral part of your website, tracking calculator events is important too.
Out of the box, four different types of events are tracked internally. It is also possible to automatically send these tracked events to the following analytics tools:
- Google Analytics
- Google Tag Manager
- Facebook Pixel
In order to enable external event tracking, navigate to settings in the calculator editor and toggle the option "Track external events" on.
We distinguish the following event types:
- startSession: This event is triggered when the calculator is loaded
- stopSession: This event is triggered when the calculator gets removed from the page
- interaction: This event is triggered when a user interacts with a calculator (e.g., slides a slider or inputs a number)
- visibilityChange: This event is triggered when the calculator scrolls in and out of view
- submit: This event is triggered when a calculator form gets submitted
- checkout: This event is triggered when a calculator form gets submitted with a checkout
- redirect: This event is triggered when a link button is clicked on the calculator
If you've installed a tracker from one of the above analytics tools, these events are tracked automatically, with the exception of Google Tag Manager (additional setup is required). They will show up in your analytics software once the calculator gets used by your visitors. So if you want to capture events on Google Analytics, you need to make sure the tracker is installed on your website.
Here is a step by step on how to set up ConvertCalculator events with Google Tag Manager.
- Head on over to Google Tag Manager, click on "Tags" and press the button "Add new". Give the tag the name "ConvertCalculator"
- Click on the "Tag Configuration" box and select "Google Analytics: Universal Analytics". For "Track Type" choose "Event". You can leave the other fields blank.
Now that the tags are set up, it's time to set up the triggers. For each of the "Events" you want to track, follow these steps:
- Click on the "Triggering" box, then click on the "+" icon in the top right, and then click on the "Trigger Configuration" box, and select "Custom Event".
- Give the Trigger the name of the event (e.g., CC Submit)
- Add the event name to the Event Name box and prefix it with "convertcalculator." (e.g., "convertcalculator.submit")
- Press "save" to save the trigger.
Repeat this process for all the events you want to track.